« Les hauts de Camarès » , a housse full of history.....
In 1850 and 1851 the Marquis Gozon de Montcalm buys two main buildings (a house and a home body). The Marquis and Marquise gave the perpetual enjoyment of the buildings to the nuns of the Sainte Famille (which will house them subsequently transferred as a donation by the Marquis in 1875). This set will become the Convent of the Sainte Famille.
In 1865 a chapel was carried inside the convent.
In 1870, the Marquis wants to install a Catholic school in the buildings of the convent. To do this, he created several works: creation of a large terrace of 200m² built on large arcades that will become the playground, as well as classes in the main building. This building will become a girls school run by three nuns. In 1883, the school had 94 students of which 20 of 6 to 8 years.
This school will be replaced in 1886 by a kindergarten (asylum), located in Cloque (lower town). Although the school was no longer makes the convent, the nuns continue to inhabit and in 1937 they settled in the village in order to be closer to school.
This house, subsequently owned by several owners who let time do its work slowly on the house. But the former occupants, who acquired in 1980, have lovingly restored a part of this house to make her beautiful. We try to continue this restoration ..
We purchased this home to make it our primary residence but also offer vacation rentals. To date, 2 cottages "Rougiers" and "Dourdou" are available, "Grands Causses" and "Rouergue" complement our offer in the future ...
The Rougiers of Camarès
The Rougiers have the particularity of having a floor made of red clay, as rich in iron oxide and friable. This gives the region of unusual landscapes. The rougier, they say, is linked to a string of extraordinary mountains whose altitude, estimated at 7000 m, shared the old Rouergue landscapes that sailed the Equator. This happened there are 300 million years ago ... Since then, soft rivers have carved the rock that gives the very particular relief modeled some of which may suggest a small American Colorado.
The Regional Natural Park of Grands Causses Regional Park is established in 1995 which covers 97 municipalities in the northeast of the region Languedoc-Roussillon, Midi-Pyrenees, northeast and south of the Aveyron department.
Covering an area of 327,935 hectares, it is the third largest park in France after the Volcans d'Auvergne and that of Corsica. It includes 67,900 inhabitants (INSEE, January 2011).
Caussenard the landscape has been shaped long ago by the dominant presence of a agropastoralism based on the breeding of sheep, whose supremacy has emerged with the recognition of the AOC Roquefort.
The shepherd, author of the little built heritage, was the emblematic character of these landscapes.
In 2011, 22 municipalities in the Park, part of the site Causses and Cévennes, were distinguished by UNESCO recognizing their outstanding universal value as "cultural landscapes in the Mediterranean agro-pastoral" for inscription on the World Heritage List World of Humanity.
This basement, rich enables the operation from the Gallo-Roman era of the first mines copper or silver lead. The charcoal produced around the region allowed the metal foundry to the Middle Ages and threshing of iron until the sixteenth century but activity rapidly declined with competition from foundries in northern France. Rougier Camarès is traversed by the Dourdou that winds between hills red brick.
the park includes 6 entities :
le causse de Sévérac
le causse du Larzac
le causse Noir
le Millavois et le causse Rouge
le plateau du Lévézou et les Raspes du Tarn
le Rougier de Camarès, le Saint-Affricain, le pays de Roquefort.